On February 2, a busload of high school students in their chaperones were leaving Boston after a tour of Harvard when disater struck. The driver of the tour bus failed to spot a 10-foot overpass on Soldiers Field Road and crashed directly into it, taking off nearly half of the bus’ roof and sending passangers and debris flying. Several of the passangers on the bus were stuck in the mangled bus for hours as rescue workers attempted to reach them.
Following the bus accident, Massachusetts officials filed criminal and civil complaints against the bus driver, including one criminal charge for operating negligently to endanger. The bus driver admitted that he had looked down at his GPS system moments before the crash and when he looked back up, the overpass was directly in front of the bus. A spokesman for the Boston Fire Department said in February that the bus driver ignored signs warning of the height restriction “all over the place.”
The first passenger to file a claim against the bus driver and his employer was a 17-year-old boy who suffered the most severe injuries in the accident. The young man, who filed suit in February, suffered severe spinal cord injuries and had to be hospitalized for over a month.
Last week, it was announced that three additional passengers have filed suit against the bus driver and the Philadelphia bus company. The lawsuit was filed on behalf of a 43-year-old chaperone, who is said to have fractured her spine in the crash, the woman’s 16-year-old son, who is said to have injured his neck and back, and the woman’s 17-year-old niece, who is said to have suffered brain trauma and a vertebrae fracture.
The tour bus had been carrying 33 Philadelphia-area high school students and two chaperons from a non-profit on a trip to Harvard University.
Source: NBC 10 Philadelphia, “2nd Civil Suit Coming in Boston Tour Bus Crash,” Vince Lattanzio, May 31, 2013