Cambridge man killed in 2-alarm house fire

Not only can house fires leave people with serious burn injuries, they also claim lives. Last week, a house fire tore through a home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, and left one person dead. Officials said the blaze was a two-alarm fire that was reported around 12:30 a.m. last Tuesday.

The blaze broke out at a three-story home on Columbia Street. Residents of the first and third units were able to escape, but the assistant fire chief said a 57-year-old man living on third floor died in the fire.

Apparently, the man lived alone on the third floor and his body was found in the front room of the unit. At this point, officials have not determined the cause of the fire, but they are continuing to investigate.

House fires are all too common in Massachusetts and can be caused by a variety of things, including faulty wiring, use of dangerous heaters, shoddy construction techniques, and defective appliances, furnaces and boilers. Oftentimes, an investigation determines whether anyone was responsible for the fire.

Especially in older homes, house fires are often deadly. Sometimes remodeling or construction leads to blocked or inadequate exits that leave people trapped inside. Additionally, building inspectors sometimes turn a blind eye to code violations.

In cases where a building owner, building inspector, construction company or manufacturer is responsible for a house fire, a wrongful death lawsuit often results. While a wrongful death lawsuit can never take away the pain of losing a loved one in a house fire, it can help the family deal with related economic costs.

Source: Boston Herald, “Man dies in Cambridge fire,” Nov. 13, 2012